BEAMS strategic goal is the development of an advanced, integrated management system which enables energy efficiency in buildings and special infrastructures from a holistic perspective (i.e. considering the indoors areas, the public spaces around the facility and the interaction of the overall compound with the grid and urban network outside it). The project will include an open interoperability gateway allowing the management of diverse, heterogeneous sources and loads, some of them typically present nowadays in spaces of public use (e.g. public lighting, ventilation, air conditioning), some others emergent and to be widespread over the next years (e.g. renewable
sources, electric vehicles).
These general goals translate into a set of spedific objectives:
1. Specification of requirements, use-cases and architectures.
2. Definition of common ontology, information models and interfaces to facilitate deployment and adoption by end-user, operators, ESCOs, etc.
3. Inclusion of greening energy positive tools.
4. Development of a flexible open gateway to interact with ICT solutions from different vendors.
5. Design and Implementation of a FAcility Management Environment including:
a. Smart Control Algorithm with learning capabilities.
b. Decision Support and Simulation tool.
c. Energy Efficiency Balanced Score Card.
6. Demonstration of the project results in two different pilot sites:
a. The Stadium of the Football Club Barcelona in Spain.
b. The campus of the University of Salento in Italy.
7. Evaluation and Assessment by means of a thorough methodology of the amount of energy and CO2 emissions saved through the deployment of BEAMS technology.
The focus of BEAMS will not be so much to develop breakthrough technologies from scratch but to integrate different technologies so that their combined use leads to increased energy savings and CO2 reduction. This will allow having a rapid impact on the market, in the spirit of the European Economic Recovery Plan 2010-2013.